Castle Rock Database Home The Castle Rock Pueblo Database
Site Number 5MT1825
History of the Site Name Site was named for the butte on which, and around the base of which, the village was built.
Other Names
Name Comment
Battle Rock
Holmes 1875*1:5; Jackson 1875*1:July 30 entry, 1981*1:Plate 5. National Archives Trust Fund photo no. 57-541
Fortified Rock
Colorado Historical Society photos no. WHJ163, WHJ164
Sentinel House, Sentinel Pueblo
Arrington 1986*1:6, 58-59
Site Type Habitation (with public architecture)
Site Boundary Description Site is bounded by exposed bedrock to the south, by a stream channel to the north. To the east and west the site is defined by the absence of artifacts and features.
Site Size 1.88 acres (.76 hectares)
Site Composition and Layout
Cultural Affiliation and Date Range of Occupation
General Location McElmo Canyon, 12 miles west of State Highway 491 (formerly Highway 666) on County Road G (McElmo Road), Cortez, Colorado (Montezuma County)
Ownership, Stewardship U.S. Government, Department of the Interior, Bureau of Land Management, Canyon of the Ancients National Monument
Years of Crow Canyon Excavation 1990-1994
Percent Excavated by Crow Canyon 5 percent
Permits Permits to conduct excavations and to place a temporary laboratory trailer and portable toilet near the site were issued to Crow Canyon Archaeological Center by the Bureau of Land Management, San Juan Resource Area Office, Durango, Colorado. Excavation was conducted under the authority of Federal Antiquities and Cultural Resource Use permits, and permission for the trailer and portable toilet was given under Land Use permits.

Permit Comments
1990-1992; Bureau of Land Management: excavation
1993-1994; Bureau of Land Management: excavation
1993-1994; Bureau of Land Management Land Use Permit to park trailer and toilet
Copyright © 2000, 2001, 2003 by Crow Canyon Archaeological Center. All rights reserved. Castle Rock Database Home